- March 16 - Crusaders start to massacre the Jews of York, England.
- October 4 - Richard I of England threatens war against Tancred of Sicily, and captures Messina
- "On the Harmony of Religions and Philosophy" (ar. Kitab fasl al-maqal) first published.
- Coronation of Richard I of England (the Lion-Hearted)
- Anti-Jewish riots in England.
- In Myanmar, Anawrahta's lineage regains control with the assistance of Sri Lanka. Pagan has been in anarchy. The new regime reforms Burmese Buddhism on Sri Lankan Theravada models.
- Henry I becomes Duke of Brabant.
- Richard I of England and Philip II of France meet at Vézelay, beginning the Third Crusade.
- Frederick I, Holy Roman Emperor joins the Third Crusade.
- Stevan Nemanja founds the Studenica monastery in Serbia.
- Ranulf de Glanvill, chief justiciar of England
- Frederick I, Holy Roman Emperor drowns in the Saleph River, and is buried in Antioch by the remainder of his shattered army.
- Sibylla of Jerusalem, former Queen of Jerusalem