- January 6 - Harold II is crowned king the day after Edward the Confessor dies.
- Tostig and Harald Hardraada of Norway invade England.
- September 25 - Harold II defeats Tostig and Harold Hardraada at the Battle of Stamford Bridge, killing both.
- September 28 - Norman Conquest: William the Conqueror, Duke of Normandy, invades England.
- October 14 - Norman Conquest: Battle of Hastings - In England on Senlac Hill, seven miles from Hastings, the Norman invasion forces of William the Conqueror defeat the English army and kill King Harold II of England. The Norman dynasty of English Kings followed. England is never successfully invaded again.
- The Viking port of Hedeby destroyed by marauding Slavs.
- A new church is begun at Monte Cassino.
- Halley's Comet is sighted in Britain.