- February 14 - Pope Benedict VIII recognizes Henry of Bavaria as King of Germany
- July 29 - Battle of Kleidion: Basil II inflicts not only a decisive defeat on the Bulgarian army, but his subsequent savage treatment of 15,000 prisoners reportedly causes Tsar Samuil of Bulgaria to die of shock.
- Henry II of Germany crowned Henry II, Holy Roman Emperor by Pope Benedict VIII (ruled since 1003)
- Following the death of Sweyn I, Ethelred II returns to England and retakes the English crown. Canute the Great returns to Denmark
- Battle of Clontarf; forces under Brian Boru defeat several allied Viking forces in Ireland, ending their power there but killing Brian in the process
- Colditz castle is built