- October 9 - Leif Ericsson discovers Vinland, becoming the first known European to set foot in North America.
- Emperor Otto III makes pilgrimage from Rome to Aachen and Gniezno (Gnesen), stopping at Regensburg, Meissen, Magdeburg, and Gniezno. Meeting in Gniezno (with Boleslaw I Chrobry) was part of pilgrimage.
- Stephen I becomes king of Hungary.
- First settlements around Helmond.
- The Hoysala Empire begins ruling.
- Sweyn I of Denmark establishes Danish control over part of Norway.
- Sancho III of Navarre becomes King of Aragon, Navarre, and Castile.
- The Shahnameh is written by the Persian poet Ferdowsi (approximate date).
- Lodi, Italy becomes a free city (approximate date).
- Södertälje, Sweden receives its charter (approximate date).
- Armenia becomes a tributary of the Byzantine Empire.
- Dhaka, Bangladesh is founded.
- The Diocese of Kolobrzeg is founded.
- The Byzantine Empire gives the city of Zara to Venice (approximate date).